Friday, January 16, 2009

SWEET BRAN MUFFINS

This is one of the best recipes I have come across. My father-in-law made these over the holiday season and I am hooked. They are not like cardboard, and even my kids like them. What I love about them is that you can maake the batter once and have enough to freeze. I have included pics... let me know if you have any questions!




SWEET BRAN MUFFINS

In a medium sauce pan bring 2 c. water to a boil.

Add 2 c. 100% bran cereal and remove from heat. Let cereal soak up water.



In a mixer cream together 3 c. sugar, and 1 c. veggie oil. Add 1 quart buttermilk, 4 eggs, and hot bran (soaking). Mix in 5 c. flour, 5 tsp. baking soda, 1 tsp. salt. Mix well.

Add 4 c. all bran.



Bake in greased muffin tins (or use paper cups) at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.





***This recipe makes enough to fill 4 one quart jars. Each quart makes roughly one dozen muffins. Can freeze dough in air tight container and use later.


*If you like fruit in your muffins add to batter before cooking. Fresh or dry would be best as frozen will change the consistancy.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad to know this dough freezes well! I have occasionally made a VERY similar recipe for years (sorry I never shared it), and I refrigerated the dough, but the last batch was never as good as the first--I'm sure freezing it solves that problem.

    ReplyDelete