Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I AM "JUST A MOM"

During my youth I never dreamed of being "just a mom". I thought that the women on tv in their fancy power suits and stretchy body suits were fantastic. Yes, I am dating my self some, and may not be as old as some of my visitors, but I was a child of the 80s. I spent my teen years teaching swimming and lifeguarding, but all the while planned to have a career. No kids included in that idea.

Fast forward to College. I attended a fashion design school in sunny southern California. A far cry from my native Montana. I was going to have my career and fancy clothes. Next thing I knew I was pregnant and still fighting my fate. I started working in the fashion industry and swore that there would be no more kids. Lucky for me my husband never listened to me!

Fast forward 2 years and I find out I was pregnat again. Good bye industry. Hello stay at home mom of 2. The costs of daycare and my commute made it impossible to make money when we had two.

Fast forward another 8 years. I am a young stay at home mom of 4 kids. I have become the "just a mom" figure I never wanted to be... the funny thing is that I have become hard pressed to come up with something else I would rather be doing. I have the flexibility to teach swimming lessons in the summer, write blogs, do yoga, sew my aprons and baby line (I will be posting examples. Feel free to contact me if you are interested in ordering), have some fun with the kids, and for a small portion of the day make sure my house is presentable... after all that is the best I can do and still live life.

I don't have any secrets on how to be a great housewife, how to organize or keep your house clean, or even how to handle your kids from a professional point of view. I can promise on every level that:
1.I do not do anything in an orthodox manner

2.My housewife skills are minimal at best... a far cry from the 1950s super mom.

3.I have NO organization skills... something my sister in law and organization genious can verify for you,

4.I can only give you thoughts on kids based on my being a mom. Take them or leave them as I do sound crazy occasionally,

5.Keeping things simple seems to help, and

6.Every mom needs a break from reality. Even if that is only for a few minutes. My hope is that this site will become just that.

I do have LOTS of random information and recipes, LOVE old wives tales (something I enjoy trying just to see if it will work), and think that being a parent is both a creative and logical proposition. My job is ever evolving, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I would like to have this be a semi-interactive site, so if you have any wive's tales you would like to suggest or have recipe thoughts or requests feel free to contact me! This site is for fun... nothing else.

1 comment:

  1. Tara, love the blog! You are a fun writer... I like this post.. I've felt a great love for being "just a mom" since I've been back working. I can't wait to be "just a mom again!"

    ReplyDelete