Monday, March 9, 2009

GET A HOBBY MOMS!!

I am a person with many hobbies and a very short attention span. This has worked for and against me equally.

I have done ballet, swimming and water aerobics, baking, hiking, skiing (water and snow), rock climbing, candy making, sewing, fashion design, yoga, writing, cooking, babysitting, refinishing furniture (I just conquered this)... and the list goes on. That gives you some idea. It seems every time I get the impulse to do something I just do it. Maybe I don't master it, but I do try. This is another one of the quirky personality traits I have my late Grandma Grace to thank for. She was the type of woman that just did things, and did them well. Once a notion was in her head there was no stopping her!! She was always so happy and willing to try new things. I am lucky to follow in her footsteps. Right now I am considering learning to hula or making jewelry and setting stones. I will keep you posted on what I decide.

This little habit of mine is a blessing in the way that I get to try all kinds of new things, and a downfall in the way that it usually drives my husband insane. I tend to be a lot to keep up with! In any case I have found that every new thing that I try, and succeed with, makes me feel accomplished, free, and independent. Each of these feeling are important to moms. Each hobby provides me with an escape from my daily duties. I can escape from kid drama, from the pressure to do everything, and from any negative feelings that have popped up.

Moms fall into the family routine and tend to forget about themselves. It is in our nature to give and give, but never take. We are creatures for the greater good. When you are severely out numbered it is extremely easy to feel that giving in to the crowd is just easier. It may be easier, but may not be healthier!

I would challenge all of you stay at home moms, as well as all the stay at home dads we adore, to take on a new hobby ever year. If one a year seems lame, then take on two a year. Expand your horizons and learn new crafts. You never know what will come in handy and when!! Keep us posted on what you try!

No comments:

Post a Comment